Today’s Sunday Show and Tell is going to feature my Carol Doak 2012-2013 Mystery BOM quilt. I had the top all made when the BOM ended
but I didn’t have time/sense to make the quilt sandwich right then and there. When I wanted to work on it the following summer, I had no where to lay it out so I could get it stretched flat to pin the three layers together.
Last Spring, before I left that fabulous quilt area at Rainbow Plantation, I sandwiched three quilts. First was this Mystery BOM quilt. It was made using foundation piecing and Carol Doak’s original designs. She has the most fantastic head for designing block and creating them as foundation piecing. The large star in the middle was a surprise, as mystery quilts are supposed to be. I love it!
Now I am ready to show you the completed quilt. It’s all quilted with lots of different free-motion quilting and some straight-line quilting using my walking foot. It’s all bound and ready to use!
All this quilting was done using my Bernina home sewing machine. It does not have an extended throat, and it’s an “ordinary” sewing machine. It just shows you can quilt your own quilt on your home sewing machine. Now I will say this was only 60″x60″ so it was more manageable than the queen size I’ll be doing next.
I used a Micro-sharp needle because I find they have a better resilience for those times when you might bend it a bit as you re-arrange the fabric. I used Essentials 100% cotton thread from Connecting Threads. It doesn’t shred and it has a lot on the spool so I know I can quilt the entire quilt with just the one spool of thread.
I used two colors of thread on this quilt. Essentials White on the white areas and a colored thread for the batik. It might have been “Meadow” but I think it was a bit darker than “Meadow” and perhaps one color they no longer carry. I know they were discontinuing some colors.
The walking foot on the sewing machine is a wonderful tool when you want to quilt lines and rows of lines. I did use a Frixion pen to mark 1″ marks on several sections in order to create a checkerboard effect to quilt within. It was a design I found on a Pinterest board, perhaps by Lori at The Inbox Jaunt I’m not sure.
I’ve met goal #1 of this summer which was to quilt this quilt. I still have #2 and #3 ahead; I’m hoping to get #2 done in August and #3 done in September.
Thanks for letting me share my quilt with you!